Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The tools of the trade

After yesterday's crazy weigh-in of 5 pounds in one week, I wrote this list of the tools that I need to use to actually lose weight.  

The tools I need for success:

  1. Routine - This morning I got up early and went to the gym.  It was amazing and great.  I love being out as the world begins to wake up, and starting my morning off right.  I've somehow misplaced my iPod, but hope it turns up.  All the same, my morning work out routine begins my day right with focusing on being healthy.
    • Daily weigh-ins
    • Weekly blog weigh-ins
    • Morning gym routine
  2. Lose a pound a week  - This is tied with the next thing - small, achievable goals - but I need a realistic larger goal too.  I also need to feel like I'm a success
    • If my weight really is 176.0, I want to be 170.0 by October 1
  3. Small, achievable goals with a method - This is the only way I can loose weight.  I know that if I have a measurable goal, it makes slip-ups manageable and doesn't make me feel like a failure.  To lose a pound a week, I need to be at a 500 daily calorie deficit.  (A pound is 3,500 calories, divided by 7 days.)  I naturally burn 1,900 calories a day without exercise, so I need to eat 1,400 calories a day to create a 500 calorie deficit.  
    • Lose a pound a week, 170.0 by October 1
    • Maintain an average 500 calorie daily deficit
    • Eat four 300-400 calorie meals a day
    • Eat between 1,400 and 1,700 calories a day, depending on exercise
    • Plan meals ahead
  4. Make healthy choices - This is the hardest one by far.  There is no tool for this one, there's on my inner psyche.  I make healthy choices by prioritizing myself, which I do by sticking to everything I wrote above.

1 comment:

  1. It's so important to realize that every time you get upset, it drains your emotional energy.

    ReplyDelete