Monday, July 20, 2009

Tan, tall, and THIN

I have returned from the land of long legs, blond hair, and small waists. I loved Southern California, but I ostentatiously don't fit in. Not only do I have a higher BMI than a very, very large majority of the population, but my dark, curly hair and one-piece bathing suit was like someone yelling "ABNORMAL" constantly. I just didn't fit in.

One of the graces of Northern California generally, and San Francisco specifically, is that there is no "normal". Sure, hipsters dominate the city, but so do hippies, business people, and children of all ages. Makeup is neither mandatory nor extraordinary. And heels are a nice addition to an outfit, but not an expectation to every outfit.

I never before have felt so darn fat as I have in Southern California. Everyone looks awfully similar, and I don't fit that mold. It is nice to return to Nor Cal where the body mold is thrown away and replaced with a political agenda.

I'm happy to say that I achieved my goal: I did not gain weight while on vacation. The constant activity (boogie boarding, biking, hiking) combined with healthy restaurant eating proved a success. The success ended last night when I overate. I lost a pound on vacation, and in one day I gained that pound back.

Despite the pound I gained back last night, I am resolute this morning in being successful this week. I begin at 193.0, and by the end of the week I'd like to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds. (My goal is 2, but I want to be realistic that sticking to a program is hard work.) The only way I know to actually lose weight is to track my food. So far this morning that has been successful, including not eating a cupcake that looked delicious because it wasn't in my calorie plan. By making the commitment to track everything I put in my mouth (no matter if it's in my plan or not), I keep myself motivated to make better choices.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

    ReplyDelete